Welcome to the historic turn-of-the-century

Buckhorn Presbyterian Church

  in Masonville, Colorado.

History

In June 1909, residents of Masonville, Colorado invited Rev. Franklin Moore to conduct services for them, holding meetings in the school house. On October 10, 1909, the Buckhorn Presbyterian Church was organized with 20 members. One square acre of land was purchased for fifty dollars; and on February 18, 1911 the cornerstone for this “Little Stone Church on the Hill” was laid. In 1964, the Skelly Hall addition was dedicated.

The building was constructed of local stone and lumber. Volunteer help of the community built it. The building was dedicated on November 19, 1911. The structure was doubled in size and modernized in 1964. The manse was built in 1957. The first full-time pastor, Rev. George Mahaffey and his wife Carol were its first residents. The manse was enlarged with additions in 1983.

Since the organization of the Sunday School in 1880, the Buckhorn Presbyterian Church has continued its Christian ministry through programs and community events such as regular Sunday worship; Sunday School; special holiday services such as the Easter “Sonrise” service in the newly enlarged “Big John Nolde Amphitheater”; church potlucks, ice cream socials and picnics; arts & crafts fairs and the annual Gospel Music Festival; the annual community Easter Egg Hunt, Vacation Bible School and much more.